- Starting Salary $32,080 +, Depending on qualifications
- Medical - Town pays partial coverage for employee & dependents.
- Dental - Town paid for employee & dependents (max. $1,075 yr / person)
- Paid Holidays; Paid Sick Days
- Paid Vacation: 10+ days per year
- Retirement: State Retirement & Town - paid 401-k
- Education: Up to $1,050 reimbursed annually for pre-approved courses
- Wellness: Town - provided wellness fairs & Department fitness room
- Part - Time employment opportunities
Candidate Minimum Requirements
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate or an equivalency certificate
- Be of good moral character as determined through a thorough background investigation
- The ability to work rotating shifts that include weekends, night and holidays
- Must be N.C. DCI certified or eligible to obtain that certification
- Must complete an intensive field training program within the first six months
- Preference is given to experienced candidates
Due to an anticipated large volume of responses when we are accepting applications, only the first 100 application received will be considered for the next phase of the process. Additional applications may be processed as necessary. Meeting the minimum requirements in this job description does not guarantee advancement in the subsequent phases of the selection process.
The qualifications of each applicant, as set forth in the employment application, will be reviewed. The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an oral examination process, which may include certain practical and written exercises intended to assess the candidate's ability to perform certain duties of the position.
- Our communications center answers 90,000+ telephone calls from the public annually
- They assist and support 60+ Police Officers and over 20 Citizen Volunteers daily
- They monitor and respond by radio and / or telephone to numerous regional public safety departments
Our town consists of approximately 35,000 residents, 200+ full time and part time employees, and a dedicated group of Citizen Volunteers.
- Town employees enjoy at least two luncheons annually, with fun activities and door prizes for most.
- Police Department employees and Citizen Volunteers work to assist with numerous community town events throughout the year, like Beachfest, Matthews Alive, the Haunted Trail and Hometown Holidays.
- Police Department employees also serve members-in-need within our community through outreach initiatives such as Matthews Gives Back, Back to School, and the Christmas Project.
- Members of the Police department are like family; here, you may meet and make some of the closest friends of your life.
Any questions regarding this process should be directed to our recruiter, Officer Dustin Ay who can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-841-6740
Please click here to see if we are currently accepting applications.
The town of Matthews is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.