Town of Matthews

Animal License

Animal Control is a public safety function that falls under the Police Department. They assist the public with abandoned or dangerous animals, nuisance complaints, etc. and ensuring that all dogs and cats have their current rabies shots. A Town tag, which may be purchased at Town Hall, is required for each pet. Renewals may be obtained thru PetData or at Town Hall.

All dogs, cats and ferrets four months of age or older inside the town limits of Matthews must be vaccinated for rabies as well as possess a current Town of Matthews Animal License.  In order to properly process your license application or to obtain an Animal License, you must present proof of a current rabies vaccination for each pet to be licensed. If you do not have a copy of your pet's Rabies Certificate that you received when the vaccination was given, you may be able to get an copy from the veterinarian that performed the vaccination. To receive the Animal License rate for sterile animals you must also present proof from a veterinarian that your animal has been spayed or neutered.

The Pet License Application for new pets to the Town can be found  here: 

Each pet is required to have a (1) Town of Matthews Pet Tag and (2) Rabies Tag 

Renewal is completed online here:


Can be completed at Town Hall within the Finance Department (We currently only accept exact Cash or Check; No Credit Cards) 

Town of Matthews Pet Tag Fee:

If the animal is spayed or neutered, the fee is $10 for a 1-year license or $30 for a 3-year license (Rabies vaccine must of been issued within the past 3 months to qualify) 

Questions? Contact Lindsey Wiggs at  LWiggs@MatthewsNC.Gov 

Offices to Contact When Starting a New Business

Please see the Business License page for a list of offices to contact prior to obtaining a business license. 

Beer and Wine License

If you are in the business of selling beer and wine, you must first obtain a permit from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABC). After obtaining this permit, you must apply for a beer and wine business privilege license from the Town of Matthews. The Finance Department must view actual permits prior to issuing local Beer/Wine License.

Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE)
500 West Trade Street

Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABC)

Licensing Period
The license to sell beer and wine must be purchased annually. The business year for beer and wine business privilege licenses begins on May 1, and ends April 30 of the following year. A license to sell beer and wine must be renewed no later than May 1 of each year.

Privilege License Application

Beer and Wine Business Privilege License Fees
The fee for On-Premises licenses (example: restaurants or lounges) is $30.
The fee for Off-Premises licenses (example: conv. or grocery store) is $15.

Garage / Yard Sales

The Town of Matthews does not permit garage or yard sale signs offsite. No permit or application is required.

Peddler or Solicitor Permit/License

Peddlers and Solicitors/Canvassers must apply for a license with the Town of Matthews Finance Office.

Upon approval by the Finance Office, peddlers and solicitors/canvassers may only sell goods or merchandise during the hours of 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., Monday - Saturday. All other times are prohibited. The license must be carried by the peddler or solicitor at all times while they are engaged in peddling or soliciting/canvassing.

The license period for peddlers and solicitors shall be effective during the fiscal year. The license period for itinerant merchants shall be for one year immediately following the issuance of the privilege license for the specified location on the license. If the said itinerant merchant moves to a new location the license will be void and a new application and license is required.

The following rules and regulations should be adhered to:

  • Those peddling or soliciting in door-to-door sales, whether it is residential or commercial sales must be invited to sell their wares by the owners or occupants of the property.

  • "No Soliciting" signs on property must be obeyed.

  • No peddler or solicitor/canvasser shall obstruct any street, alley, sidewalk or driveway without first obtaining the permission of the property owner or person in lawful possession of the property to do so.

  • No peddler or solicitor shall engage in peddling or soliciting on any public street, alley, parking lot or other public place after having been requested to desist by any law enforcement officer employed the Town.

  • No peddler or solicitor shall shout or cry out to sell his wares, goods or merchandise, nor blow any horns or use any other similar device to attract the attention of the public.

Please be aware that it is a class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200 for a person to:

  1. Fail to obtain a license as required by this Article.

  2. Knowingly give false information in the application process.

  3. If a person fails to produce his privilege license later produces in Court a valid license which has been issued prior to the time the person has been charged with such violation, such person shall be found not guilty of the violation of conducting business under this Article without first obtaining a privilege license.

For more information contact Lindsey Wiggs, at 704-708-1238 or email.

    Town of Matthews | 232 Matthews Station Street Matthews, NC 28105  |  Phone: 704-847-4411  |  Fax: 704-845-1964
    Contact Us  |  Site Map   |  Powered by MunicipalCMS
    E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook