Other Utilities

Utility Construction in Matthews Right of Way

Utilities that are planning any construction in a Matthews right of way will need to adhere to Matthews Standards & Provisions. They will need to fill out a Matthews Right of Way agreement, and submit this agreement with a copy of their plans to  the Engineering Department at Public Works. If a pavement cut is needed for the work being done, please complete this form, Street Cut Permit Form, and submit to the Town Engineer.

For utilities planning construction on State roads right of way, they will need to submit a NCDOT encroachment agreement. Work in State roads right of way need to follow Matthews Standards & Provisions, and a set of plans must also be submitted to the Engineering Department at Public Works.

Water and Sewer

The majority of the Town of Matthews water and sewer is provided by Charlotte Water. They can be contacted by dialing 311 (local) or (704) 336-7600. A small portion of Matthews is served by Carolina Water Services of NC. They can be reached at (800) 525-7990.

Street Lighting

The Matthews Public Works Department provides street lighting on residential streets and thoroughfares through contracts with Duke Power and Union Power, depending on location. The Town budgets approximately $300,000 each year simply for street lighting energy bills.

When street lights are out, citizens who use Duke Energy, can contact Duke Energy to report the street light outage at
  Duke street light outage or contact Duke energy at 1-800-769-3766. 

If you use Union Power, you may report the street light outage at Union Power street light outage
or contact Union Power at 704-289-3145.

The normal policy of both companies is to repair burned out lights within 5 business days, unless there are specific wiring problems. If underground wiring is an issue then the policy is up to 10 business days.

Citizens and subdivisions requesting new or additional lights may follow the Town Street Lighting Policy  to make these requests.


Union Power Cooperative services neighborhoods and houses in the eastern corner of the Town as well as residences off of Sam Newell Road, north of Independence Boulevard. They can be contacted by phone at 1-800-794-4423.

The remainder of Matthews is serviced by Duke Energy. For power issues in these areas please contact them at 1-800-769-3766.


Natural gas in the Town of Matthews is provided by Piedmont Natural Gas. They can be reached at 1-800-752-7504. If there is a break in the gas line or other emergency, please get to a safe place and call 911.

Traffic Signals

Almost all traffic signals in Matthews are under the control of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT). All issues relating to maintenance, repair and timing are handled by the NCDOT. Exceptions are the signals at NC 51 and Elizabeth, NC 51 and Alexander, Monroe Road and Gander Cove Lane, and Margaret Wallace and Sam Newell, which are controlled and maintained by the City of Charlotte.

Signal problems can be reported to the Public Works Department, 704-708-1240, where they are forwarded to the NCDOT or CDOT.  Or, they can be reported directly to the NCDOT at 704-244-8273 or Charlotte signals can be reported to 311.



Facebook Twitter YouTube  0